Four County
save energy
Pay Online

News

Memories, Artifacts, and Photos Sought as Cooperative Prepares to Celebrate 75 Years

January 26th, 2012

Four County EMC's first office building, located in Ivanhoe. Four County EMC's first office building, located in Ivanhoe.

Four County Electric Membership Corporation is seeking photos, tools, newsletters, and other memorabilia of the co-ops 75 year history. Shared items will be returned.

Four County serves members in Bladen, Duplin, Pender, and Sampson counties, and has a number of members in Onslow and Columbus Counties as well.

Efforts have found that the cooperative started in Sampson County in 1936, when Ivanhoe area business man Dr. A.H. Kerr sought assistance from the Rural Electrification Administration (REA) to bring affordable electric power to rural areas.

Although the project originally started in Sampson County, it quickly spread, reaching from the Lenior/Duplin county line to near Lake Waccamaw in Columbus County, including a substation at the town of Sandyfield that serves lower Bladen County.

Currently Four County EMC serves approximately 32,000 members throughout Bladen, Duplin, Pender, Sampson, Columbus and Onslow counties.

For more information, call Gay Johnson at (910)259-1834 or email gayjohnson@fourcty.org.

# # #          


©2018 Four County Electric Membership Corporation
Four County Electric Membership Corp. 1822 NC Hwy. 53 West, Burgaw, NC 28425 (T) 888.368.7289 (F) 910.259.1860
Site Developed by G&T Communications